Week 8: Post 1


Tesla and SpaceX are two fairly young companies who have both amassed millions of followers on social media, far surpassing companies much older and bigger than they. But why might this be? Could it be that we are all hypnotically entranced with the companies founder/CEO Elon Musk? Although I think this may play a part, I believe the real reason for these companies accumulating mass praise and popularity is the excitement they create through engineering and innovation in order to build a better future. When it comes to this, there are no other companies who do it quite like SpaceX and Tesla. Although it may be difficult for other, much smaller businesses to replicate this level of innovation, we can still learn from the two and apply this information to build and grow our own business' social media. 


Tesla and SpaceX mainly use and are most popular on the three big social media platforms; Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. I believe it is most feasible and important for my fictitious business, Turing Mousepads, to also focus on the three.


Tesla and SpaceX also do not pay for any advertisements and instead grow their business through social media posts as well as through word of mouth. In a twitter post earlier this year, Elon Musk wrote "Tesla does not advertise or pay for endorsements. Instead, we use that money to make the product great." I think this is something that many companies can learn from. Advertisements are often forced upon you unwillingly, and can cause one to resent a company when they are bombarded by them. For Turing Mousepads, I would keep advertising costs to a minimum and instead use that money on the product itself. 


Tesla, in particular, does a good job of creating communities and engaging with their customers through social media. To do this, they often post videos from Tesla Owners on their Instagram page. One can imagine how ecstatic a Tesla owner would be to see their video on Tesla's page. No doubt in doing so they are creating a very loyal fan base. To replicate this effect with Turing, I plan on including with shipments a note telling them to send us or tag us in pictures of their work or game stations with their new mousepad for a chance for Turing to post their set up. Maybe we could also have customers vote on who has the best set up.



For the project portion of this assignment, I provided a link to my company Facebook page in my Instagram pages bio. Then, I connected my Instagram account to my Facebook so it could be managed from Facebook. 

Comments

Popular Posts