Week 13: Online Advertising | Post 1


Similar Business Advertisements

HyperX
HyperX is currently running ads on Instagram and Facebook. Most of their ads are amateur/phone-shot videos as well as freeze-frame videos with animations. Their ads mostly feature blank captions with text over videos stating "Save up to 50% on HyperX gaming gear!". I am personally not a fan of their ads, I think they are visually unappealing and department store-ish. I favor a more professional, clean, artistic, and elegant look. However 50% is a large discount and although it is most assuredly for last season products, I think it could result in clicks.

Logitech G
Logitech is currently not running ads, however their gaming division, Logitech G, is. Their ads are much more creative and visually appealing than HyperX. The ads all feature small descriptive captions and short phrases over the images like "Best Mouse Ever Now Even Better" and "No Wires. No Limits." These ads artistic style and large, bold, high contrast text lend to them being easily noticeable. The ads captions relay to the viewer that their technology is premium which personally entices me to click and learn more about. Therefore I would say Logitech's ads are very effective.

SteelSeries 
SteelSeries is showing Christmas spirit with its current slew of red and white colored ads. Their captions are all holiday themed as well, most falling along the lines of "Give the gift of gaming audio this holiday – shop Arctis 3 Bluetooth". The ads clearly show their products with professional imagery in a way less artistic than Logitech. I personally enjoy when businesses celebrate the holidays so I think SteelSeries is effective in that regard. However, because their imagery is not artistic nor creative, the ads do look a bit boring and perhaps then less eye-catching.


Advertising Examples
For these examples I chose companies which I've recently experienced social media advertisements with.

Purple
I am a big fan of Purple. Anytime a business can bring a new, exciting technology I'm all for it. Having been part of their beta pillow testing, I do feel a bit of an unflinching loyalty to the brand. However, about a month ago I thought their ads would never stop. It seemed like every other YouTube ad I encountered was from Purple. Although their ads are informative, nicely done, and humorous, the repetition of ads did slightly irritate me. As a business using social media ads, I think it is very important not to over do it. 


Traditional vs Social Media

I believe social media and internet advertising is far superior to traditional forms of advertising. This is because internet based advertising brings with it easy and efficient interaction between a business and it's potential customers. For example, customers can easily click links to go to the company's site, learn more about a topic or product, subscribe to the company's newsletter, or make a purchase; all of which are impossible with traditional advertising. Social Media advertising also allows for a much more specific audience to be targeted, with companies able to target people by age, gender, occupation, location, language, connections, and more. A strong example of this is the ability to target friends of the people who have liked your post. This gives your ad credibility as new viewers will see that their friend supports your company.




   

Comments

  1. I loved that incredibly strange Tim and Eric led advertising promotion that Purple Mattress did. You certainly have to be daring and unique to utilize those guys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts