Week 3 Part 1: Blog Post

Personally, I do not communicate with businesses too frequently. Before making a purchase, I like to do a lot of research, compare options, and find the best brand or product for my needs. Therefore, when I get a product I'm usually happy with it. However, I do find myself calling customer service every once in a while, but usually its to large businesses (apple, paypal, dell) that have decent customer service and are easy to communicate with.  I've only had one bad experience communicating with a company, that I can remember, it was a small (single store) motorcycle parts company from new jersey called "Pit Powersports". After that experience, I now prefer abstaining from purchasing from small companies online.  

I have never used social media to speak with a company. Instead, I have always emailed or called them. I think it might be slightly easier to get your problems solved through social media, because businesses want to appear attentive and caring in front of other people. However, I say slightly because I assume businesses are aware that one can still post about a negative experience they had through emails or a call on their social media, and as a result they treat such customers similarly. 

My most positive experience communicating with a business was with the mattress company Purple. I purchased a bed frame from them a while back and they later  emailed me to take part in beta testing their new pillow. It was a really fun experience and it made me support and talk about the company even more. This has made it so if I ever buy a mattress in the future it will most likely be from them. 

If it was my own business I would respond to a positive comment by expressing gratitude and stating that we're glad they like the product. I would refrain from attempting to push more products on them by suggesting them something else they might like. I would respond to negative comments by giving real, personalized, human written responses that express concern for their bad experience with us. Then give them our email to discuss the problem further. 


Comments

  1. It makes sense that communicating with smaller business online could be frustrating because often time the guidelines they have for handling customer service situations may be looser than larger companies. I'm curious when you had that experience and if a similar interaction could be different with the platforms smaller companies now have for connecting with customers. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts