Blog Week Four Post Two

Website 1 - Bowers and Wilkins

Bowers and Wilkins is a high end audio company, that manufacturers home audio speakers, headphones, and car speakers. I'm a big fan of quality speakers, particularly home audio. I built my own Kilpsch 5.1 surround system, and I would like to one day one some Bowers and Wilkins or SVS speakers. Bowers and Wilkins produces not just well made speakers but they also have a really beautiful website to showcase them, a site which I often look to for design inspiration. They utilize a monochromatic black and white color palette and allow images to bring color to their site, a design style I appreciate and employ in nearly every site I make. This is a very modern, minimal, and professional style which reassures to their site's viewers that this is a quality highly technological company. The site follows many design principles including hierarchy and alignment which can be seen in in each of their speakers descriptive paragraphs and headings. My favorite part of the site is how when you hover over products in the menu, the users viewport splits in half, dividing the Bowers and Wilkins text. What makes me come back to this site repeatedly is their speakers which I am interested in as well as their sites design. I'd would say alignment could be improved slightly, but then maybe this would hurt their design.   

Website 2 - Tesla

Another site I frequent is Tesla, a company I am deeply interested in and excited about the technological advances they are making. Tesla is known as the premium electric car manufacturer and their beautifully made site helps support this. Their landing page zooms into a draggable fullscreen image of their 3 current vehicles. Tesla incorporates this use of large, exciting imagery throughout the rest of their site. Text is modern and minimal, with white backgrounds that alternate position from left, bottom, and right. Scrolling snaps between different sections of content, and text then animates in to view. A very unique feature I have yet to see in another site. Like Bowers and Wilkins, Tesla sticks to black, white, and grey, and they pull it off expertly. They use all the major design principles, retaining excellent contrast, type, consistency, visual hierarchy, alignment, and white space. These can all be seen notably in the descriptive text of each vehicle.

Comments

Popular Posts