Week 5 Post 1


Myrtle Creek &
Armstrong Garden Centers


I chose to do this set because I live pretty close to Myrtle Creek and drive past it often. I've only been a few times though. I've seen a single Armstrong Garden Centers which has been in Temecula since I first moved there in 2002, but I've never been inside. I've always been surprised that they've remained in business. That particular location is hidden in the back corner of its shopping center. I also wonder how they can compete with stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart.

In comparing the two sites my initial reaction is that Armstrong's site feels much more corporate, cold, and like they are trying to sell you something. Myrtle Creek's site feels much warmer and gives the impression that they are a small, local business. Myrtle Creek seems much more focused on the experience, talking less about sales and more about the amenities and events they offer. I believe this can be supported by looking at the order of both of the site's navigation. The first nav item for Armstrong's site is "SHOP", whereas Myrtle Creek's first three are "Home", "About", and "Directions". This can be further supported by Armstrong's landing page containing pricing on products and services, whereas Myrtle Creek doesn't have pricing information anywhere on their site.

I believe these differences among others result in the two sites targeting different audiences. Armstrong's site seems geared towards someone looking to landscape their yard and purchase plants. Myrtle Creek seems geared toward families and people looking for a fun local experience in a visually pleasing setting. 

I believe there is overlap in their target audiences as the two businesses both sell plants. An analogy which might help explain the differences is dinner(chain), vs dinner and a show(local). Armstrong Garden Centers in this analogy is just dinner(purchasing of plant), where Myrtle Creek is dinner, desert, and a show(purchasing of plant, food, and other items + visually appealing + events). Armstrong is a good choice for someone looking just to buy a plant, maybe who wants to be in and out, and who doesn't care about the experience or visuals. Myrtle Creek is a good choice for someone who wants to buy a plant, but also have fun walking and looking around, bring their family, and maybe get some food.

As for my opinion on design, I prefer Myrtle Creek's site. It's much more homey and unique. Armstrong Garden Centers looks cookie cutter, drab, and cluttered in comparison.  

      


Comments

Popular Posts